Saturday, June 18, 2011

Challenge: Living Within My Means

I am posting this on here, so that if I don't follow through with the challenge, I have to confess and hide my head in shame. :-p

In college, I didn't care about my finances. I thought people who talked about saving money and having a budget were boring. In Grad School I said "crap, I should have cared about my finances so that I don't have to use a credit card so much." Now, I'm looking at my numbers and seeing that I need to start fixing some things. In a few months I will have student loans to pay, two credit card bills, and I want to start giving my mother more money for rent, etc. There is no possible way I will be able to move out anytime soon, but there is a way that I can work towards a goal. I NEED to LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I do not have a living situation where people have an unlimited amount of money to pay for my life - even if I did, I don't think that I would want that.

So, I'm starting off small and training myself for the marathon. For one week, I will NOT USE MY CREDIT CARD. They will only be used in the case of an EMERGENCY. Now, what is an emergency....being stranded on the highway is pretty much the only thing I can think of at this point. I already pay above the minimum payment, but it will never go down if I keep on swiping. At the end of the first part of this test of wills, when I get my next pay check, I will use whatever is left over in the bank and put it towards the card with the highest interest.

I've made mistakes, there is nothing I can do now, but work towards fixing them. I have a dream and a goal that one day I am going to live a life without any credit cards. I'm going to go against the American way in this case and really strive to live WITHIN MY MEANS!

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment